Friday, February 11, 2005

I did not sign up for this...

We got a call over the weekend from one of our friends (several drunken calls and a few drunken angry messages, actually)letting us know they had gotten engaged over superbowl weekend. What? You didn't know that second only to Valentine's day, superbowl weekend is the most romantic time of year? Just to let you know the type of species we are dealing with here. He's been calling Charlie (my fiance) like all the time to commiserate with him about How Terrible It Is To Plan A Wedding With Someone You Love.
As a recently engaged person I have to admit its not all I thought it would be. I thought that once we got engaged everyone would get off our back. Oh, and I really love my fiancee, dont get me wrong. It's just that I don't want to have a wedding. I don't want to plan it and spend all that money when honestly I'd rather had the money. Is that bad? Maybe I'm selfish. I don't know why, and people tell me I'm crazy and that I'd regret it but I really wish we could just go to a Justice Of the Peace and "get it over with" (my future mother in law took a small amount of noticable discontentment with my phrasing of our impending nuptuals in such a tone, but hey what are future daghter in laws for).
I guess I am just trying to come to terms with the fact that I USED to be cool. I used to get so mind bogglingly intoxicated and have so much fun just embracing my assedness. We used to go out. With our friends Who WERE cool too. No everyone has paired off and is making babies or bitching about blah blah blah. I stopped caring.
Last weekend I went on a date that involved a giant burrito and plastic silverware. I save bags. I clip coupons and worship Oprah. I am becoming so tragically un-hip.
I am just having a rough time in "developmental pergatroy". The wedding plans have caused me to go off the deep end. It all just seems so "final". It's like congradulations, you're an official adult. Freaky Shit. On that note, I think I'll go enjoy my Friday night "Hope and Faith" (lame, lame tv show on abc that I am secretly addicted to) with a jack and Diet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home